Welding.. or attempting to weld

So, the floor of the foxbody has to be replaced. Since it is ruined anyway, I decided to practice mig welding the floor pan. Looks to me like it’s about 20-22 gauge steel. I tried using .030 wire with my Hobart Handler 190 on the lowest heat setting and wire speed around 40-50%. Well, that didn’t work so well. I kept burning through the pan. I did notice that if I went with short bursts it did better, but there’s no way in hell I’m getting a solid bead on that. After watching some youtube vids, I tried using .023 or .024 wire. That seems to work out a lot better. Still can’t get a good bead but I can tack it pretty easily. Think I need to turn the wire speed up a little bit more, though. I think I’ll be able to attach the floor pans pretty easily…

… if I can get the old ones out. In order to get the old ones out there are about 60 spot welds that have to be cut out. I bought 4 spot weld cutting bits and went through 2 of them getting 4 of the welds out. LOVELY. Guess I need to find some that are more stout.

to be continued.